Monday, September 03, 2007

Calling for a Cease Fire


My grandmother used to tell me, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." While I do think a certain amount of critical discourse is necessary to sort out life, love and politics, I think the rule my grandmother taught me is just perfect when it comes to judging other mothers' decisions about raising their children.

Others though, many others, seem to feel an incessant need to dole out unsolicited constructive criticism to mothers. (See "Mommy Wars Suck" at Pundit Mom.) Maybe they feel they have all the answers for raising perfect children, or at least know more than the moms they criticize. Maybe they think their advice is the only thing that provides a glimmer of hope for all of us against the otherwise certain destiny of being doomed to live in a world full of degenerate, tantrum-throwing, blankie-clutching, un-potty-trained adults still sucking their binkies. I don't know.

Frankly, I've got my hands full just trying to make decisions about how to raise my own children. I don't have time to make decisions about how to raise someone else's. So, while I won't venture to offer parenting advice, I would like to call for a cease fire. Let's put an end to the Mommy Wars.

3 comments:

Blog Owner said...

I am so thankful that in my day to day life I just don't "see" the mommy wars. My friends, working and stay-at-home are so not into the one-upping each other.

Amen!

PunditMom said...

Ready for the cease fire!

Marine Wife said...

I sometimes wonder if the "mommy wars" are real or just a media creation, b/c I also don't really see it in my day to day life.