Who's that lady? Photo by my friend Karin the Photography Goddess.
I appear to be your typical California suburbanite. I wear clothes from Ann Taylor. I have highlights in my hair. I work out. I drive an SUV. And I dress my kids in clothes from Gymboree. But there are things that might surprise you.
For example, did you know?
1) I am not a Republican. (Repeat after me. I am not a Republican.)
2) I love biscuits and gravy.
3) I believe in equal rights.
4) I campaigned for Howard Dean.
5) I was a Democracy for America Meet-Up leader.
6) I've walked neighborhoods and stood outside polling places in rain, sleet, snow and blazing heat to campaign for candidates.
7) I was a political blogger during the 2004 presidential election.
8) I've been caught in the middle of the armed capture of four armed robbers. (Notice the word armed.)
9) I had skin cancer at 26. Wear your sunscreen ladies and gentlemen.
10) I've been honored to be included as the only female participant of an otherwise all male racoon hunt in Northwest Oklahoma. Don't worry, I didn't carry a gun and the entire expedition was largely about drinking beer, climbing trees and running through the forest in the middle of the night. Yes, that's right, drinking beer and climbing trees.
11) I did landscaping to help put myself through law school. Yes my friends, beneath that mop of frazzled mommy hair, there sits a brain licensed to practice law and capable of comprehending words exceeding one syllable.
12) My friend Jack and I orchestrated the release of 1000 crickets in the Engineering Building at my alma mater during the traditional week of rivalry between the schools of engineering and law. Shame on me. Those poor crickets.
13) I have chopped cotton and ridden on a spray buggy. Translation for my city friends = hoed weeds in the cotton fields and ridden on a buggy pulled behind a small tractor while spraying weed killer.
14) I've been inside a house while someone was breaking in. He broke in and forced us to open our Christmas presents. Maybe I'll write about this sometime.
15) I love Blues.
16) I despise snobbery.
17) I know what it's like to be hungry because there's not enough food.
18) I'm lucky.
19) I read Dooce.com.
20) I used to live across the street from a crack house.
21) I've witnessed gang violence.
22) I got my first official job at 10 years old. I was the concession stand attendant at the public pool.
23) I paid my own way through college and law school.
24) I once found my fiance in bed with another woman. They were perfect for one another. They were both cheaters.
25) I think it's okay to have pink hair. I've even considered it.
26) I've been in two movies.
27) I want to learn to surf.
28) I've eaten frog legs, calf fries and barbecued rattlesnake.
29) I don't eat beef.
30) I'm a Christian, but I don't think I personally get to decide who is going to Hell.