Thursday, November 30, 2006

Secrets of a Real Life Mom

I go out with out makeup sometimes, on purpose. I mean no makeup at all, not just like I forgot my mascara. This never would have happened before babies. I could have been running a 102 temperature and on my way out to buy TheraFlu, and I would have stopped to put on makeup. I don't know. It's like giving birth gave me a big dose of reality or something.

You know what else? I have used diaper ointment as hand cream. And it works great! No, it's not some beauty secret I found in a magazine or on the internet. Just something that came to me one day between diapering bottoms and washing my dry, cracked, bleeding hands for the 89th time.

Here's a good one. I go to bed when I am tired. No more of that "it's too early to go to bed" nonsense. Oh yeah, bring on the jammies and the soft cotton sheets, Baby.

I'm a little less of a daredevil. I've lost the urge I used to have to go skydiving, because, gee, wouldn't it just be silly if Mommy died jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

And here's one I hate to admit. I have a lot better perspective on where my mother was coming from. I know. I know. We all thought this day would never come, but it's inevitable. It's like the changing of the seasons.

These and other secrets I blame on motherhood and the sudden rush of sanity it brings with it.

2 comments:

Marine Wife said...

Yeah, I'm all over that no makeup thing.

Amy said...

I left my makeup case a home when we traveled east for Thanksgiving. I would NEVER have done that pre-baby! :)