Sunday, February 04, 2007

Mombot Monday -- They Can Sense Weakness, You Know


It's true. Little children can sense weakness and smell fear too. Should you experience injury of any kind, do not show weakness. I repeat do not show weakness.

Upon returning home from my doctor's appointment with this lovely new accoutrement upon my foot, my darling baby girl with curly hair and big brown eyes and long eyelashes, took one look at me and knew I was easy prey.

She decided to test me by going for the cabinet door. When I told her "No, come here," she stared me in the eye, looked down at my injured foot, and then back up at me and told me "No."

When I took a step toward her, she prepared to run. She reminded me of a lioness stalking an injured gazelle. She knew instinctively that I was at a disadvantage.

She began to run.

And here is where I made my mistake. I showed weakness . . . and fear. I hobbled around my kitchen like a 1970's Weeble. I wobbled round and round, afraid I would fall down.

We circled the kitchen island at least twice before I realized this was going nowhere. I would have to pick up the pace. Once I caught her, she realized Mommy was still functional and the issue was resolved.

3 comments:

Amy said...

In some ways they are like wild animals, no? But they also know when you are sad, and nothing makes you feel better than a hug and a sticky kiss from your little ones.

Marine Wife said...

So, what did you do to your foot?!

Shannon said...

Who knows. The doctor thinks I may have had a stress fracture that never healed properly. I suppose I am the typical mom, not making time to go in and have it checked out. Shame on me.